Eco-friendly Bladeless Hydraulic Turbine SETUR harnesses energy of low velocity / low hydraulic head water sources as ocean currents, tidal streams, rivers, canals and other sources of hydrokinetic energy.
Turbine SETUR uses vortex phenomenon to generate energy. It can be cost-effectively used either as a standalone self-contained system or within a multi-unit hydro power farm.
Several modifications of turbine have been successfully tested over the years and we now offer its most advanced version.
Since 2008 our turbines have won several prestigious international awards, including E.On Energy Globe Award 2014.
Hydro energy is currently the biggest commodity of renewable energy. The process of hydrokinetic energy conversion normally implies utilization of kinetic energy contained in rivers, ocean currents, tidal streams, or man-made waterways for generation of electricity. At the same time, however, the traditional hydro-energy in many places around the world is considered to be exhausted, at least in respect of the potential of the bigger energy resources. The accessibility of power energy at relatively low prices pushed to the background its actual externalities. It should be noted, however, that interest in the traditional renewable resource of water is permanent, long-term and not liable to surges of short term interest.
The rotor and the stator create in a quiescent state a symmetrical coaxial diffuser as shown in Figs. 1 and 2. However, this state is unstable and as a consequence of the instability of the flow through the gap between the rotor and the stator it changes to an asymmetrical one. The shape of the rotor and stator can be variable i.e. it might be improved or optimized. In practice the most common rotors are hemispheres as in Fig. 1, but what really matters is the diffusion angle of the gap between the rotor and the stator.
One tip of the rotor’s shaft is fixed, so that the rotor can roll along the inner side of the confuser. When the fluid flows along the rotor, then due to the flow field instability, the fluid starts to rotate and vorticity is generated. The direct consequence of the vorticity generation is the onset of velocity circulation and the force interaction between the fluid and the rotor. This fluid structure interaction results in the rotation of the shaft on which the rotor is placed.
Fig 1. Initial position of the rotor and deviated position of the rotor in motion. This shape of rotor is usual for contemporary turbines in praxis but on the other hand for theoretical analysis conical shape is more suitable.
In principle it does not matter if it is hanging or supported. The rotor with the shaft then performs a precession movement and rotates (circulates) around its direct axis. The amount of rotation depends on the ratio between the inner and outer radii. When this ratio is close to one, i.e. when the gap between the cylinder is small, the number of precessions needed for one rotation of the rotor around its axis increases as the width of the gap decreases. The number of precessions can be simply changed by changing the width of the gap. In the case of a conical stator this can be done by changing the vertical position of the rotor.
The first embodiment of rolling turbines used a rotor hanging from the entry part of an outlet nozzle. The diameter of the rotor for example can be just several centimeters or millimeters. Water flow rates can change usually from single liters to hundreds of liters per second.
The advantage of such turbine lies especially in its simplicity, environmental safety and ability to operate in ultra low sources of water. The turbine design allows easy adjustments as might be required by specific applications.
Fig 2. Simplified scheme of the turbine. Fluid flows between the inner cone and the outer cylinder.
In practice more complicated shapes of the rotor and stator have been developed but this figure shows the most important feature of the turbine, the diverging non-symmetrical gap crucial for the appearance of volume forces responsible for the rotation.
Bladeless SETUR turbines can be successfully utilized within a wide variety of applications.
1. Low head dams
3. Irrigation canals
4. Urban areas (pipelines and stormwater systems)
5. Industrial outflows
6. Ocean currents and tidal streams
Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC offers two turbine models:
M : Rated Power - 500 W (Max 750 W) User's Manual
L : Rated Power - 5 kW (Max 7.5 kW) User's Manual
Rated Power Output: 0.5 kWh; 12 kWh per 24 hours; 4,380 kWh per year
Maximum Power Output: 0.75 kWh; 18 kWh per 24 hours; 6,570 kWh per year
Rated Power Output: 5 kWh; 120 kWh per 24 hours; 43,800 kWh per year
Maximum Power Output: 7.5 kWh; 180 kWh per 24 hours; 65,700 kWh per year
Hermetically sealed generator turbines are designed to be used in rivers, canals, as well as near-the-surface ocean currents and tidal streams. Depth up to 50 m.
The standard lead time for SETUR turbine deliveries is at least 90 days
Prices are quoted in Euro. Prices in US and Canadian Dollars are available upon request.
SETUR-L 5 kW Turbine with hybrid (on-grid/off-grid) inverter - €20,700 EUR + shipping cost
SETUR-L 5 kW Turbine with grid-connected inverter - €20,200 EUR + shipping cost
SETUR-L 5 kW Turbine without inverter (rectifier only) - €20,000 EUR + shipping cost
Rated Power Output: 120 kWh (Max 180) per day; 43,800 kWh (Max 65,700) per year
Voltage options (please specify in your order):
1) 400 V / 230 V 50/60 Hz AC
2) 380 V / 220 V 50/60 Hz AC
3) 208 V / 240 V 60 Hz AC
Turbine without inverter: 246 V AC (rated) - 346 V AC (no load) at rated RPM.
SETUR-M 500 W Turbine w/ hybrid (on-grid/off-grid) inverter - €3,200 EUR + shipping cost
SETUR-M 500 W Turbine w/ grid-connected inverter - €2,800 EUR + shipping cost
SETUR-M 500 W Turbine without inverter (rectifier only) - €2,500 EUR + shipping cost
Rated Power Output: 12 kWh (Max 18) per day; 4,380 kWh (Max 6,570) per year
120 v / 240 V 50/60 Hz AC
Turbine without inverter: 12 V - 48 V DC
Payment by Bank Wire Transfer only
An electric shock can be fatal. High danger due to grid voltage and voltage from the turbine that is operational. Ensure that the turbine is not operational before carrying out any connection work.
Caution should always be used when connecting the SETUR turbine to the electric system. Please read and follow the user's manual, installation and operating instructions provided by the inverter manufacturer.
Incorrect operation or poorly executed work can cause serious injury or damage. Commissioning of the turbine and inverter may only be carried out by trained personnel in accordance with the technical regulations.
Never run the SETUR turbine 'off-load' with the output cables not connected to anything.
Adhere to proper grounding techniques as established by your National Electrical Code. Your SETUR turbine must be installed in accordance with the local and national codes, rules and regulations. Incorrect installation may void your warranty.
It is the user's responsibility to follow the national and local codes, rules, regulations, as well as the zoning restrictions.
All SETUR turbines are assumed to be installed under the following standard conditions:
Turbines with hermetically sealed generator should be connected via the underwater connector (supplied with turbine). Cable is not provided, and should be purchased from your local hardware store. The distance between the installed turbine and the inverter could vary greatly from project to project.
Ensure that you have followed the cable-sizing requirements to ensure that the correct size of transmission cable has been selected. If a cable of insufficient cross-sectional area is used, heat may build up in the cables causing a potential fire hazard. Using cables of insufficient cross-sectional area may also reduce the power transmission efficiency of the turbine. Always use the largest gauge wires that are practical and affordable. Local, state and/or national electrical codes take precedence over these general recommendations.
4. Install the turbine in or at the source of running water (river, canal, brook, etc.) following some suggestions outlined in the User's Manual. The variety of installation options is endless and depends on your situation and particular local conditions.
Turbine with hermetically sealed generator must be fully submerged in the water flow to ensure maximum power output. The water flow could also be routed to a turbine via pipes.
NEVER PERFORM ANY ELECTRICAL WORK WHILE STANDING IN WATER OR BEING EXPOSED TO WATER! WEARING WET GLOVES OR CLOTHES IS FORBIDDEN!
5. Each SETUR M inverter is equipped with two Power Outlets, North-American 110V-120V and Universal 220V-240V.
To connect the turbine to your house electric system, install a male power socket in your house and use a male-to-female power cord. The wrong way is to plug a male-to-male (plugs on both ends) power cord into the inverter AC outlet and any wall outlet in your house.
ATTENTION: Make sure the wiring matches = hot to hot, neutral to neutral, ground to ground. If you don't know how to check the wiring, invite a certified electrician.
WARNING: you must always follow your local code.
Alternatively, in case you don't want to connect the turbine to your house electric system, but rather want to supply power directly to a few appliances, plug the appliances into the inverter's power outlets. Make sure their combined power rating doesn't exceed the turbine's rated power.
Inverter could also be equipped with a battery charger which comes useful in case you have a battery-based Uninterrupted Power Supply Back-up System or you just need to charge your car battery.
6. SETUR M Inverter may also be equipped with a Hard Wire Panel to be connected directly to your house AC Panel.
Direct connection to the house AC Panel is the best installation option, especially for bigger SETUR L turbines (required) and optional for SETUR M turbines (not required).
WARNING: We strongly suggest hiring a certified electrician, so everything is done fast, safe, with high quality of workmanship and in accordance with your local rules and regulations.
SETUR-L turbine must be installed by a licensed electrician in accordance with national and local codes, as well as the User's Manual.
Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC warrants to the original consumer purchaser of a Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC SETUR turbine that it will, at its option, repair or replace such product if it is found by Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC, in its sole judgment, to be defective under normal residential use, provided that it has been installed and maintained in accordance with Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC’s instructions. This limited warranty applies only to the initial installation and is not transferable from the original consumer purchaser. This limited warranty covers only normal use of the product against defects in material or workmanship for parts only for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns the product.
In the event of a limited warranty claim, proof of purchase will be required – save sales receipt.
This warranty extends only to products purchased directly from Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC or its authorized agents and distributors.
This limited warranty does not apply to commercial installations. The warranty for commercial installations is five (5) years.
Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC will provide free of charge, at it’s sole option, replacement part(s) or product (or if no longer available, a comparable product) to replace those which have proven defective in materials or workmanship.
The product owner is responsible for the payment, at current rates, for any service or repair outside the scope of this limited warranty.
This limited lifetime warranty DOES NOT COVER the following:
1. Defects or damages arising from shipping, installation, alterations, accidents, abuse, misuse, environmental factors, lack of proper maintenance, disasters such as an act of God (lighting, fire, earthquake, tornado, etc.), electrical spikes or surges or any other physical damage, service or alteration by anyone other than an authorized Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC representative, damages incurred through irresponsible use or other non-recommended practices and use of other than genuine Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC replacement parts, unauthorized modifications or additions in all cases whether caused by a contractor, service company, the owner or any other person.
2. Deterioration through normal wear and tear and the expense of normal maintenance.
3. Any loss of work (down time) caused by a product requiring service.
4. Labor charges incurred and/or damage sustained in installation, repair or replacement, nor incidental or consequential damages.
5. Commercial application.
6. Power Inverter and Rectifier. The power inverter and rectifier are covered by their respective manufacturer's warranties.
7. Postage or shipping costs for returning products for repairs or replacement under this limited warranty and labor or other costs incurred in connection with product removal or installation under this limited warranty.
8. ANY LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LABOR, ALL OF WHICH ARE HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED, OR THE EXTENSION BEYOND THE DURATION OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY OF ANY IMPLIED LIMITED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR AN INTENDED PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT WILL VORTEX HYDROKINETICS LLC BE LIABLE FOR THE COST OF REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF ANY INSTALLATION MATERIALS.
9. Responsibility for compliance with local code requirements.
(Since local code requirements vary greatly distributors, retailers, dealers, installation contractors and users of plumbing and electrical products should determine whether there are any code restrictions on the installation or use of a specific product.)
This warranty is null and void if the defect or malfunction was due to damage resulting from operation not within manufacturer specifications. It will also be null and void if there are indications of misuse and/or abuse. Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC has the option of voiding the warranty if any one other than a Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC technician attempts to service the product without the explicit authorization in writing.
Under no circumstances will Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC be responsible for any refund or remuneration exceeding the original purchase price of the product less any shipping fees.
Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC will not be held responsible for the customer's failure to read and understand any information posted on our website, user's manual or any other documents related to the product or the sales transaction. Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC's website in English is primary. The other language versions may or may not be as complete as the English one.
Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC will not be held responsible for unintentional errors and omissions on our website and/or in the User's Manual. Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC makes every effort to make sure all information on our website and/or in the User's Manual is correct.
This warranty is applicable only to Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC SETUR turbines manufactured after October 1, 2018.
THIS WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVELY IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
FOR COMMERCIAL INSTALLATIONS: For all industrial, commercial and business usage the warranty period is five years, from date of purchase, and except for duration all other aforementioned warranty terms apply.
For both Residential and Commercial warranties, power inverter and rectifier are not included in the warranty, and are covered under their respective manufacturer's warranties.
If repairs are required, the customer must obtain a RMA number and provide proof of purchase. RMA and services are rendered by Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC and/or its authorized dealers, distributors or representatives only. All returned parts must have a RMA number written clearly on the outside of the package along with a letter detailing the problems and a copy of the original proof of purchase. No COD packages will be accepted. No package will be accepted without a RMA number written on the outside of the package. RMA numbers are only valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
Please follow these procedures to obtain the service:
1. If you have purchased the product via our website, contact Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC Customer Service via e-mail email@example.com, attach a copy of your invoice and the wire transfer.
3. If you have purchased the product from the authorized agent/distributor, please contact it first.
4. When RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization Number) is issued, please follow the instructions given by Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC technical support staff to ship your item. Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC will not accept any shipments without a RMA number.
5. Pack the item in its original box or another well-protected box, as will be outlined in the Return Shipping Instructions. Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC will not be responsible for shipping damage/loss of the product. It is very important that you write the RMA number clearly on the outside of the package. Ship the item with a copy of the proof of purchase as outlined above, your name, address, phone number, description of the problem(s), and the RMA number you have obtained to the address provided by the technical personnel.
6. Upon receiving the product, Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC will inspect it, and if found covered under this limited warranty, repair or replace your product (at Vortex Hydrokinetics LLC’s discretion) and will ship it back to you within 4-12 weeks (depends on parts availability).
7. Cross-exchange (Parts only): You will need to provide a valid credit card number as a return shipping cost guarantee when the RMA number is issued. Once approval has been obtained on your credit card, the part(s) will be shipped.
8. The customer assumes full liability for losses or damages resulting from shipping as well as all responsibility to pursue remuneration for such issues with their selected carrier.
Vortex Hydrokinetics was founded in 2015. Our production partners, contractors and part suppliers are located in many countries, turbine SETUR is truly a product of international cooperation.
In 2014 Bladeless Turbine SETUR won the E.On Energy Globe Award (Ecological Oscar). The award ceremony was broadcasted by Czech TV.