Basic installation procedure for SETUR-M turbines
WARNING! An electric shock can be fatal. High danger due to grid voltage and voltage from the turbine that is operational. Ensure that the turbine is not operational before carrying out any connection work.
Caution should always be used when connecting the SETUR turbine to the electric system. Please read and follow the user's manual, installation and operating instructions provided by the inverter manufacturer.
WARNING! Incorrect operation or poorly executed work can cause serious injury or damage. Commissioning of the turbine and inverter may only be carried out by trained personnel in accordance with the technical regulations.
Never run the SETUR turbine 'off-load' with the output cables not connected to anything.
WARNING! Adhere to proper grounding techniques as established by your National Electrical Code. Your SETUR turbine must be installed in accordance with the local and national codes, rules and regulations. Incorrect installation may void your warranty.
Please use common sense when installing and operating your turbine!
It is the user's responsibility to follow the national and local codes, rules, regulations, as well as the zoning restrictions.
All SETUR turbines are assumed to be installed under the following standard conditions:
- Turbine must be installed by or with a help or under a supervision of an experienced professional.
- Turbine must be fully submerged in water unless the water flow is routed to the turbine via a pipe.
- Turbine must be installed in clean water free of any corrosive and dangerous chemicals, as well as debris.
- Turbine must be safely installed at a properly prepared installation site. The turbine's frame can be mounted in a variety of ways. To determine the best of them is the user's responsibility.
- Turbine must be installed in such a way that it withstands with a safe margin the maximum anticipated pressure of the water flow.
- Turbine must be electrically grounded in full compliance with the national and local codes, rules and regulations.
- The access to the installation site must be via a terrain that allows safe turbine carrying, use of lifting equipment, pipe, if any, and power cable laying etc.
- The user must make sure that the site is not slippery, icy, flooded, exposed to falling rocks or trees etc. Where such conditions exist, it is the user's responsibility to rectify or avoid.
- Turbine must be installed at the site in such a way that prevents any possible physical access by the general public, especially children.
- Appropriate intake screen should be installed to prevent any mechanical damage to the turbine by any debris that might be in water.
- The turbine should not be exposed to excessive water pressure and/or water flow velocity, which must not exceed the recommended value of 11 m/s.
- The user must read and follow the user's manual and the inverter's user's manual before starting the installation.
- The user must follow all the installation and connection instructions provided in the inverter's user's manual.
1. Install the inverter (supplied with your turbine) in accordance with your local code. It has to be a safe, dry place, well protected from elements, animals and people. It should be installed as close to the installed turbine as it's safely possible to eliminate electric losses and reduce the cost of cable.
2. Install the rectifier in accordance with your local and national codes. The rectifier is supplied with your turbine.
3. Connect the turbine to the rectifier, then the rectifier and the inverter.
Turbines with hermetically sealed generator should be connected via the underwater connector (supplied with turbine). Cable is not provided, and should be purchased from your local hardware store. The distance between the installed turbine and the inverter could vary greatly from project to project.
IMPORTANT! Ensure that you have followed the cable-sizing requirements to ensure that the correct size of transmission cable has been selected. If a cable of insufficient cross-sectional area is used, heat may build up in the cables causing a potential fire hazard. Using cables of insufficient cross-sectional area may also reduce the power transmission efficiency of the turbine. Always use the largest gauge wires that are practical and affordable. Local, state and/or national electrical codes take precedence over these general recommendations.
4. Install the turbine in or at the source of running water (river, canal, brook, etc.) following some suggestions outlined in the User's Manual. The variety of installation options is endless and depends on your situation and particular local conditions.
Turbine with hermetically sealed generator must be fully submerged in the water flow to ensure maximum power output. The water flow could also be routed to a turbine via pipes.
WARNING! NEVER PERFORM ANY ELECTRICAL WORK WHILE STANDING IN WATER OR BEING EXPOSED TO WATER! WEARING WET GLOVES OR CLOTHES IS FORBIDDEN!
5. Each SETUR M inverter is equipped with two Power Outlets, North-American 110V-120V and Universal 220V-240V.
To connect the turbine to your house electric system, the right way is to install a male power socket in your house and use a male-to-female power cord. The wrong way is to plug a male-to-male (plugs on both ends) power cord into the inverter AC outlet and any wall outlet in your house.
ATTENTION: Make sure the wiring matches = hot to hot, neutral to neutral, ground to ground. If you don't know how to check the wiring, invite a certified electrician.
WARNING: you must always follow your local code.
Alternatively, in case you don't want to connect the turbine to your house electric system, but rather want to supply power directly to a few appliances, plug the appliances into the inverter's power outlets. Make sure their combined power rating doesn't exceed the turbine's rated power.
Inverter could also be equipped with a battery charger which comes useful in case you have a battery-based Uninterrupted Power Supply Back-up System or you just need to charge your car battery.
6. SETUR M Inverter may also be equipped with a Hard Wire Panel to be connected directly to your house AC Panel.
Direct connection to the house AC Panel is the best installation option, especially for bigger SETUR L turbines (required) and optional for SETUR M turbines (not required).
WARNING: We strongly suggest hiring a certified electrician, so everything is done fast, safe, with high quality of workmanship and in accordance with your local rules and regulations.